Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Nuggets of Motherhood

*Pun intended.

You know those shining moments of motherhood? When you get that warm fuzzy feeling, and think to yourself, "I just love my kids!" This...was not one of them.

Today started out well. The kids were playing well. Usual routine. But, when we arrived at my sister's house, Ryder's inner beast was unleashed. I won't get into specifics, but I'll summarize by saying that 2 changes of underwear (see title above if you're confused), and 3 time outs later I was at a crossroads. Should I use the boxing gloves or the broomstick? Broomstick.

No, it wasn't pretty folks, but I tell you this so that when you and your husband are observing little Timmy playing quietly with his chemistry set and Sally re-reading the encyclopedia {those are your kids names, right? :)} you can think to yourself, "Wow, we really are great parents. We never have to raise our voices, and our children listen intently to ever word we utter."

Now, before I get out of hand, let me just say: I did learn something today. I learned that motherhood is the hardest job I've ever had. I used to think I was patient, kind, understanding, and loving. But, now I know I'm not any of those. Not perfectly, I mean. But, I guess that's why motherhood is the most rewarding job I've ever had, too. Because it's not about controlling your child and molding them into the perfect version of yourself. It's watching them grow and make choices and help them become the best version of themselves.

7 comments:

The Laters said...

AMEN!

The Story of Life said...

Oh the joys of it all. Well, it does get easier when it comes to Nuggets and such. But, then you enter teen years...They think you are a complete idiot. You will then get lots of heavy sighs and eye rolls. It's just wonderful! Something to look forward to! :)

Kristy said...

Aahh...I have had those days!

Shannon Dooley said...

Haha! Love this!

Curtis & Nichole said...

Awesome.
The funny thing is eveyone reading this is smiling and laughing because they have been in that same boat before:)

Not that I can say that about your house situation, I'm glad it all worked out! Have fun on your trip:)

jen said...

I am going to have to read your blog more often- you crack me up! Your writing style is awesome- had so much fun with ya this last week- have a fabulous trip in HAWAII!! Can't wait to see the beautiful 2nd honeymoon pics ;)

Emily Andrus said...

Heather you are too funny! Nuggets try even the best mom's patience. Poop is not a good scene. I'm glad you went with the broomstick. It's funny how you will look back and laugh at all these moments. (in a very far distant future :) )
And I would like to add that our children are also molding us into the best versions of ourselves!